Living in a world without challah has not been easy since I went gluten-free in 2012. For me that was one of the harder items to give-up, but the positives out weighed the negatives and I eventually learned to live without. Those that know me, know that I am a huge believer and preacher in just because you are gluten-free does not mean you need to live without. So my big question is what have I been doing for two and a half years without challah?! Well the wait is OVER and NOBODY will have to live without again! Close those down those laptops and open up your ovens and repeat after me, Challa-lujah!
- 3 ½ cups Gluten-Free Bread Mix (Either King Arthur Flour or Pamela’s)
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup non-diary butter, melted (Earth Balance Non-Dairy Butter Sticks)
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 ¼ tsp yeast
- Mix all together for four minutes on medium speed in a stand mixer.
- Using 3 piping bag cut the tip about 1-inch long. Divide the dough evenly among the three bags and “pipe” a braid onto a greased cookie sheet. The dough will be too sticky to braid otherwise.
- Make sure you start at one edge of the sheet as the braid will take up the whole sheet.
- Let rise for at least 90 minutes in a non-heated oven with the light on and a glass bowl of water on the lower rack.
- After the 90 minutes brush on an egg wash (egg yolk mixed with a touch of water).
- Bake in a preheated 350º oven for 1 hour.
QOTD: What is the one item that you have missed since going gluten-free?