Almost anyone that knows me knows that cupcakes are my thing! They hold a very special place in my heart, I have even been given various cupcake type items such as pajamas and signs with cupcakes on them. I even have dreams of opening my own Cupcakery one day! Remember a dream is a wish! Now I typically prefer to bake my cupcakes from scratch with my Über secret recipe, but every now and then you need a quick and easy recipe to make those darling and oh so delicious cupcakes as well.
Don’t worry you will never see me using an actual mix, I consider that cheating! Do you?! 🙂 Thanks to the amazing bakers at King Arthur Flour there is a new cupcake recipe, which I modified of course to be not only gluten, but dairy free as well! While the following recipe is not cheating per say it uses King Arthur Flour’s Gluten-Free Baking Mix. One might wonder the differences between gluten-free flour and an all-purpose baking mix. Think of the gluten free flour for using in scratch or home made recipes. You measure all ingredients out and bake. The baking mix is a blend of flour, leavening agent (usually baking powder and xanthan gum) and salt. Not too sure if this new recipe is “cheating”, it not only cut’s a few corners, but it is OMG!! DELICIOUS!!
- 1/2 cup soft Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
- 1 cup Sugar in the Raw (This is the best unrefined sugar!)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Califia Farms Almond Milk (This is AMAZING and tastes like homemade Almond Milk!)
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free Vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Mix*
- Optional 1/4 cup gluten-free sprinkles
*Make sure you use King Arthur’s Gluten-Free BAKING MIX — NOT their Gluten-Free Flour!!!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or line 12 muffin cups with cupcake papers, and spray the insides of the papers. I really starting to love the presentation of cupcakes without the papers, that is my new preferred method!
- To make the batter: Beat the soft butter and sugar until thoroughly combined and somewhat lightened in color.
- Add the room temperature eggs one at a time, mixing until just incorporated.
- Combine the milk and vanilla.
- Stir one-third of the baking mix into the mixture; stir in half the milk, another third of the baking mix, the remaining milk, then the remaining mix. Scrape the bowl occasionally throughout this process to avoid air bubbles.
- Add optional sprinkles until just incorporated, careful not over mix batter.
- Scoop the batter by level ¼-cupfuls into the prepared muffin tins; a muffin or ice cream scoop works well here.
- Bake the cupcakes until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, and the middle springs back when pressed lightly —20 to 22 minutes for cupcakes.
- Remove from the oven. Serve warm; or cool completely, then spread with the frosting of your choice.